Saturday, April 16, 2016

Problem Solving with Code and Arduino

When some teachers asked me if we could build a temperature sensor that didn't require walking up and taking a physical  reading, without hesitation I said yes.  What followed was a deep exploration into the Arudino environment and an introduction to Python coding.

The project has been very rewarding.  While not totally complete, we did answer the question of whether we could build a system that could remotely monitor the temperature and communicate that information in graphic form to another computer.  Now the winter has left us, we'll have some time to move our beta to a real embedded model.

When I initially began the project, I worked independently trying to learn as much as I could about the hardware, what I needed to order and how to set it up.   After some individual learning time, I started working with some students from our Computer Systems Technology class.  They helped with soldering parts and setting up our communication network with our Arduino compatible radios.  We also studied some of the Arduino code libraries, testing a variety of sketches using our new Xbee radios.  Probably the most fun we had was building test models of projects that were not even related to our project.  As long as the students were excited, I didn't mind the need moving slowly on this project.  Learning can be fun, and experimenting is probably the best form of that.

Currently the project is in beta form.  We have to still figure out how to use our digital sensor to pass data.  We had no problem with the analog sensors.  We also have to build a waterproof shell and configure the radios to hibernate so as not to burn out the batteries.  I've spent countless hours working on various configurations, temp sensors and code combinations.  I feel like I am a lot more confident while working with the Arduino IDE and writing basic code.  I really enjoyed learning some Python basics and I only hope I can get a few more students interested in the project and other projects by showcasing this one.  I plan to introduce this beta project with the new CST class next fall.  We'll then form a group that will tackle this project including the design of the housing and computer configuration (remote IP address and website) that will be capturing the data.

I've included this Link to my Google Site - Create with Code.  There you may explore the entire project, review the code and set up.  Share any materials as you see fit.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

2 comments: